Alfriston Clergy House


Attributes:
Alfriston
Historic Buildings
Parks & Gardens


Title: Alfriston Clergy House
Description: Built in around 1360, this Wealden hall-house was the first property to be purchased by the National Trust. Set on the village green next to the church, it has been beautifully restored. Alfriston Clergy House is of timber-framed construction with a thatched roof and features a colourful cottage garden with plants typical of Roman times.

Address: The Tye, , Alfriston, East Sussex
Post Code: BN26 5TL

Further Information:
Built in around 1360 for a prosperous yeoman family, this Wealden hall-house was the first property to be purchased by the National Trust. Once owned by Michelham Priory, then used as a post Reformation vicarage and finally converted into two farm labourers' cottages, by 1889 it was in such a run down state that it was nearly pulled down. The Reverend F. W. Benyon became the vicar the same year and fought to save the building from destruction; it has since been beautifully restored.

Alfriston Clergy House is of timber-framed construction with a thatched roof and the main hall is open to the rafters. The floor is made of chalk rammed to a depth of several inches (more than 5cm) and sealed with sour milk, and the building is unusual in that it features a separate room for the housekeeper, with no direct access to the house.

Set on the village green next to the church, it is surrounded by a colourful cottage garden, with plants typical of Roman times.