All Saints Church, Herstmonceux
Places Of Worship
Title: All Saints Church, Herstmonceux
Description: Found at the entrance to Herstmonceux Castle, All Saints Church dates from the twelfth century with additions from the fourteenth century.
Address: Church Road, Herstmonceux, Nr Hailsham, East Sussex
Overlooking Pevensey Marshes from the gates to Herstmonceux Castle, the church is quite a distance from the present village. It can be access via Church Road which heads south, just east of the village.
Although a church was located here before the Domesday Book, the earliest part that can now be seen is the north-west tower that dates from the twelfth century. With other parts of the church in the Decorated style from the fourteenth century, it is spoilt a little by some unattractive Victorian restoration.
Inside can be found a brass of the castle builder's father, Sir William Fiennes who died in 1402, and a monument to Lord Dacre (who died in 1533) and his son. It appears that this monument was originally intended for Lord Hoo (who died in 1455) and his half brother. The monument was moved to here from Battle Abbey at the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries.