Title: Arundel Castle
Description: Situated in a glorious heavily wooded 1100-acre (45 hectare) park, Arundel Castle's treasures include furniture dating from the 16th century, tapestries, paintings and a magnificent mahogany library from the 18th century.
Address: High Street, , Arundel, West Sussex
Post Code: BN18 9LH
Situated in a glorious heavily wooded 1100-acre park, Arundel Castle is Norman in origin. The first castle was built there in the eleventh century during the reign of Edward the Confessor, by one of the greatest land owners of the time, Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Arundel. When it was built (in around 1070) Arundel was a major port and the castle was constructed to guard the river valley from invasion.
Robert de Belleme was one of the castles 12th century owners until he was attainted and stripped of his possessions. The crown claimed the castle, which was then willed by King Henry I to his queen Adeliza. The d'Aubignys (or de Albini) obtained possession when Queen Adeliza later married William d'Aubigny, third Earl of Arundel. It passed first to the Fitzalans, and then in the 16th century to Thomas Howard, fourth Duke of Norfolk, Earl Marshal and senior peer of England.
The Civil War in 1643 badly damaged the castle. The Parliamentary forces under General Waller (who ended up staying there until 1649) destroyed most of the castle with cannonfire, although the gatehouse, keep and twin-towered barbican remained intact.
When partly rebuilt between 1791 and 1815 the castle gained some of its gothic looks. In 1890, the fifteenth Duke of Norfolk completely remodelled the castle, adding amongst other things, medieval looking crenellated towers with their arrow slit windows. The view of the towers and battlements are very imposing, rising above the River Arun and valley as they do, and the original keep and gatehouse complete the picture by adding that medieval touch.
Open to the public, the highlights of its treasures include furniture dating from the 16th century, tapestries, paintings and a magnificent mahogany library from the eighteenth century.