Places Of Worship
Title: Arundel Cathedral
Description: Built for the fifteenth Duke of Norfolk in 1873, the Cathedral was constructed in the French Gothic style of 1300, with Romantic features such as pinnacles, flying buttresses and gargoyles.
Address: Cathedral House, Parsons Hill, Arundel, West Sussex
Post Code: BN18 9AY
Arundel Cathedral was originally built for the fifteenth Duke of Norfolk to celebrate his coming of age - the Dukes of Norfolk are England's premier Catholic family. It was designed by Joseph Hansom & Son (who were better known for their Hansom Cab) in the French Gothic style of 1300.
When completed in 1873, it was the Roman Catholic parish church of St Philip Neri and only became the Cathedral of Our Lady and St Philip Howard in 1965. In 1595, St Philip Howard, thirteenth Earl of Arundel, died for his faith in the Tower of London after being betrayed while trying to flee England. His remains are enshrined in the altar in the north transept.
Today the cathedral is the seat of the Bishop of Arundel and Brighton, and makes an impressive sight when viewed from a distance with the nearby castle.