Places Of Worship
Title: Battle Abbey
Description: Built by William the Conqueror on the site of the Battle of Hastings in 1066 to commemorate his victory over Harold, Battle Abbey is now home to the 'Monastic Exhibition', the '1066 Exhibition' and a gift shop.
Address: High Street, , Battle, East Sussex
Post Code: TN33 0AD
Built by William the Conqueror after his victory in 1066 over King Harold, Battle Abbey stands on the site that the battle took place; the high altar was positioned where Harold fell. The buildings were added to over the centuries, with the gatehouse being constructed in 1338 when the Abbot was given a license to crenellate. Since then there has not been much additional building work.
After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Sir Anthony Browne (The Master of Horses for King Henry VIII) was granted the abbey and promptly pulled down the church. Sir Anthony went on to incorporate some of the buildings into a house although the task was not completed before his death.
Still open land, Senlac Field, the site of the battle, may be viewed from the last remains of the Abbey. A private school now occupies a number of the buildings; these are therefore closed to the public. The Great Gatehouse is however open and houses the 'Monastic Exhibition', plus the '1066 Exhibition' and gift shop.