Places Of Worship
Title: Boxgrove Priory
Description: A fine example of Early English architecture with a sixteenth-century painted ceiling, Victorian stained glass and a De La Warr chantry chapel. Also available to see are ruins of a Benedictine monastery.
Address: Church Lane, , Boxgrove, West Sussex
Post Code: PO18 0ED
Dating from the early twelfth century, the church of St Mary the Virgin and St Blaise was built on land donated to the Benedictine Abbey of Lessay by Robert de la Haye. The Early English priory nave dates from 1220 and later in 1532, Lord and Lady De La Warr had the chantry chapel built.
When the Dissolution of the Monasteries came, the de la Warrs bought the church and so protected the chantry from being defaced as many others were at that time. This is now the only example of a chantry from this period anywhere in Sussex.
Scenes from the French Book of Hours are depicted in vivid carvings on the pillars and Lambert Bernard was commissioned in the sixteenth century to paint the De La Warrs family crests and coats of arms.