Title: Chichester Canal
Description: Authorised by Parliament in 1819, construction of the canal commenced with a grand opening in 1822. With a total length of four miles, the canal was able to take vessels up to 150 tons, carrying mainly coal. The last commercial cargo was carried in 1906 and the canal was abandoned by Chichester City Council in 1928. Boat trips, angling, canoeing and row boat hire activities available.
Address: Canal Basin, Canal Wharf, Chichester, West Sussex
Authorised by Parliament in 1819, construction of the canal was undertaken and opened by the owners, The Portsmouth and Arundel Navigation Company, in 1822. Being a total length of four miles, the 150-ton vessels that traversed the locks carried mainly coal, with the last commercial cargo to make the journey to the Chichester Basin taking place in 1906.
Painted in 1829 by Turner and lined by wild flowers such as willow herb, yellow flag, meadowsweet, speedwell, water plantain, lesser water parsnip and the rare lesser reedmace, the canal is also well stocked with carp, roach, tench, bream, perch, rudd and pike.
Having been abandoned in 1928 by the owners of the time, Chichester City Council, the canal fell into disrepair. Now owned by the West Sussex County Council, the canal is managed by the Chichester Canal Society. This registered charity aims to fully restore the canal and make it navigational between Chichester Basin and Chichester Harbour.