Places Of Worship
Title: Chichester Cathedral
Description: Located in the heart of the Georgian city of Chichester, the magnificent 900 year old Cathedral is home to significant works of art, from Romanesque stone carvings to famous 20th century sculpture, tapestries and paintings.
Address: The Royal Chantry, Catherdral Cloisters, Chichester, West Sussex
Post Code: PO19 1PX
Built on the site of a Saxon church and replacing an earlier Norman Cathedral, the work on the current structure was started by Bishop Ralph de Luffa in 1091. Norman in design, the building was damaged by fire in 1114 and again in 1187. After repair work and further construction, the cathedral was finally consecrated in 1199, over a century after work had started. Originally built using greenish limestone from the Isle of Wight, the building was finished using stone imported from Caen.
In the fourteenth century a detached bell tower was added and this is the only example of such an unusual feature in the country. It was also about this time that the Cathedral's first spire was added to the central crossing tower. Having previously been repaired by Sir Christopher Wren, the spire was struck by lightning in 1721 and on 21st February 1861 the whole tower spectacularly collapsed. Rebuilt by George Gilbert Scott and extensively repaired since then, the spire rises to a height of 265 feet (82 metres) and is the only English cathedral spire that can be seen from the sea.
Badly damaged in the Civil War, none of the windows remained intact - the Great Window in the south transept was restored in 1932 and work including a coloured window by Marc Chagall can also be seen. Other treasures include two carved stone panels dating from around 1130 and numerous interesting monuments.