Dominican Friary, Arundel
Title: Dominican Friary, Arundel
Description: The remains of the friary founded in the mid-thirteenth century can be found on the banks of the River Arun.
Address: Mill Road, , Arundel, West Sussex
The surviving remains of the south range of the Blackfriars or Dominican Friary can be found just to the west of the road bridge, on the north bank of the Arun. Founded in the second quarter of the 13th century, its typically low-lying location was close to the river crossing, the port, the town and the people the Friars preached to.
Dissolved in 1538 by Henry VIII, the buildings were used for other purposes. The south range became a timber yard and the west range (of which not much is left) a malthouse. The 16th Duke of Norfolk gave the remains of the south range that exist today, to the town in 1935.