Title: Firle Place
Description: Built of Caen stone and set within its own parkland, the house is of Tudor origin. Paintings, furniture and Sèvres porcelain is on show, plus a licensed restaurant.
Address: , Firle, Nr Lewes, East Sussex
Post Code: BN8 6LP
Built of Caen stone and set within its own parkland at the foot of the South Downs, the house is of Tudor origin with the Great Hall and its hammerbeam roof dating from this period. Built by the Captain of the Royal Guard and Vice-Chamberlain to Henry VIII, Sir John Gage, this house was incorporated into the present building in 1745 by Sir Thomas Gage.
The Gage Family, who has lived at Firle Place since it was built, has taken an active role throughout the nations history. Defeated by the Americans at Bunker Hill during the American War of Independence, General Sir Thomas Gage was Commander-in-Chief of the British forces at the beginning of the war.
Treasures on display include Old Masters from England and Europe, English and French furniture, Sèvres porcelain and a map of New York dating from the early seventeenth century, showing Wall Street behind the city walls.