Places Of Worship
Title: Ford Church
Description: Located near the Open Prison in Ford, this flint church is simple but very pretty and has parts dating back to Norman times.
Address: Ford Road, , Ford, West Sussex
Located in a field, which used to contain a moated manor house (the lumps in the ground are what are left of the foundations), the little candle-lit church dedicated to St Andrew in Ford is one of the prettiest in the country. Restored in 1899 by diocesan architect Philip Johnston, and then again in 1999 with help from English Heritage, several styles of architecture are represented here.
Built by the Saxons, the north and west walls of the nave date from the early eleventh century and are the oldest parts of the church. The smaller windows in the north wall are the original Saxon ones although the larger two were added in about 1200 to introduce more light. The windows in the west wall are of Perpendicular style and date from about 1420.
The vestry was added in 1899, although the door, which links it to the rest of the church, dates from the fifteenth century. Inside the vestry lies an ancient stone dating from the tenth or eleventh century; this shows interlaced strap-work. The church's chancel arch, which is early Norman, is plain although the supporting masonry is covered with a star decoration. The bellcot contains two bells, one of which has been dated to the fourteenth century. The Dutch style porch dates from 1640.
Treasures include the window behind the altar, which is of the Decorated style, the font, which is made out of a square limestone block and the wall paintings from the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries.