Lancing College Chapel
Places Of Worship
Title: Lancing College Chapel
Description: Set in the magnificent South Downs, Lancing College Chapel was founded in 1868 and dedicated in 1911. This 19th century Chapel features, amongst other treasures, the Rose Window, stall canopies, altar silver and fine tapestries.
Address: Lancing College, , Lancing, West Sussex
Post Code: BN15 0RW
Built of Sussex sand stone from Scaynes Hill, in the English Gothic style of the early fourteenth century but with thirteenth century French influences, construction of Lancing College Chapel started in 1868. Designed by R.H. Carpenter and his partner William Slater, the Chapel is built on foundations that are up to 70 feet deep.
Although the service to dedicate the Chapel to St Mary and St Nicolas took place in 1911, Lancing College used the crypt from 1875, until the upper chapel was ready. Even today, the 350 foot tower originally planned for the west end has not been constructed. Indeed, work is still progressing to complete this magnificent building.
The Chapel of Lancing College, an independent secondary school founded by Nathaniel Woodard, curate at Shoreham in 1848, is the Central Minster for the thirty-three schools in the Woodard Corporation. Woodard argued the need for less exclusive public schools and Lancing College was the first of these "Christian Teaching" schools.
The Chapel features, amongst other treasures, the Rose Window, stall canopies, altar silver and fine tapestries.