Places Of Worship
Title: Michelham Priory
Description: A Tudor mansion, which had the remains of a 13th century Augustinian priory incorporated into the design, is surrounded by a medieval moat and wonderful gardens. A watermill is also available for viewing.
Address: , Upper Dicker, Nr Hailsham, East Sussex
Post Code: BN27 3QS
Dating back to 1229 when Gilbert De l'Aigle founded the priory, Michelham was originally lived in by Augustinian canons. Most of the original buildings, including the Church of the Holy Trinity, were destroyed after the Dissolution of the Monasteries although the remains were transformed into a working Tudor farm and a country house.
Access is gained by passing over a sixteenth-century bridge, which spans the longest medieval moat in England, and through a fourteenth-century gatehouse. Set by a bend in the River Cuckmere on a moated island and surrounded by spacious gardens, a watermill, physic garden, an Elizabethan Great Barn, a rope museum and a smithy can all be found here.
Inside, Michelham Priory is now home to a range of furniture and artefacts that trace the religious origins of the building, the time it was used as a working farm and its development into a country house. Displays include tapestries, kitchen equipment and a fully furnished eighteenth-century children's bedroom.