Newhaven Lifeboat Station
Title: Newhaven Lifeboat Station
Description: One of the oldest lifeboat stations in England, 14th May 1803 saw the arrival of a 22ft (7 metre) boat, built by William Greathead from South Shields. In 1904 the first petrol-powered boat, J McConnel Hussey arrived. She was fitted with a 9 horsepower 2-stroke engine and had previously been stationed at Folkestone. Today, the largest boat on station is the 'Severn' class, with its twin 1250 horsepower turbo charged diesel engines and a top speed of 25 knots. The lifeboat station is open to the public for viewing.
Address: Lifeboat House, West Quay, Newhaven, East Sussex
Post Code: BN9 9BX