Palace Pier


Attributes:
Brighton & Hove
Piers


Title: Palace Pier
Description: Completed in 1901 at a cost of 137,000, Brighton's Palace Pier was designed by R. St. G. Moore and measures 1760 feet (537 metres) long and 189 feet (58 metres) at it's widest point. With its Palace of Fun, amusements, bar, restaurant and shops, the pier is a great place to bring the family.

Address: Madeira Drive, , Brighton, East Sussex
Post Code: BN2 1TW

Further Information:
Once the location of a chain pier dating from 1822, the original structure was built by Captain Brown and was used as a landing stage for sea going vessels. A notable visitor was Queen Victoria who once arrived in Brighton by sea.

Storms caused havoc, severely damaging the old chain pier and in 1891 it was sold to the Marine Palace and Pier Company who started to build its replacement. It did not take long before construction of the foundations was nearing completion and the then Mayoress of Brighton, Mrs S H Soper, was invited to drive in the last pile. Work on the new structure could then begin.

December 4th 1896 saw the demise of the rest of the old chain pier, when it completely collapsed. The following year the Marine Palace and Pier Company was in financial trouble and was wound up, having completed only half the new pier. John Howard (who was later knighted) bought the pier and had the work finished. Having cost a total of 137,000, the new pier was officially opened on 20th May 1899, although it was not actually completed until 1901 when the theatre was added at the pier head.

The designer R. St. G. Moore took a great number of design features from the Royal Pavilion when designing the structure, which stands 1760 feet (537 metres) long and 189 feet (58 metres) at it's widest point. He added a great deal of lacy ironwork and elaborate cresting, and the theatre and concert hall, which is now the Palace Of Fun, have an Oriental outline.