Petworth House

Historic Buildings

Title: Petworth House
Description: Set in magnificent grounds, Petworth House is home to over 300 paintings including works by Turner, Van Dyck, Titan and more; the deer park was landscaped by 'Capability' Brown.

Address: Petworth House, Church Street, Petworth, West Sussex
Post Code: GU28 0AE

Further Information:
Now owned by the National Trust, Petworth House is set in 2000 acres (800 hectares) of parkland in which deer still roam. Laid out by landscape gardener 'Capability' Brown, Turner was a regular visitor and as a result he painted the house and grounds many times.

Previously owned by the Percy family, the original building, which was crenellated in 1309, dates from about 1150. Elizabeth, the 'gentle Kate' made famous in Shakespeare's 'The Taming of the Shrew' and the widow of Sir Harry 'Hotspur' Percy, resided here for a time. It is here that Elizabeth met her second husband Thomas Camoys (he fought at Agincourt). The present house with its magnificent west front was built in 1696, after the heiress of the Percy estate married the sixth Duke of Somerset; some parts of the original building, including the chapel, remain.

A number of significant treasures, including the Carved Room, containing Grinling Gibbons finest works, the Grand Staircase, the Marble Hall and the Saloon can be found inside. In 1780, the third Earl of Egremont added the Sculpture Gallery and since then, the collection of paintings has been built up and now includes artists Van Dyck, Lely and Turner.