St. Mary's Church, Climping
Places Of Worship
Title: St. Mary's Church, Climping
Description: Built on the site of a church dating from the time of Edward the Confessor, the current building dates from around 1170. Home to a 14th century pulpit, the proportions of this 13th century church are described as "perfect" by many architectural books.
Address: Church Lane, , Climping, Wet Sussex
Post Code: BN18 0EE
The Domesday Book mentions that there was a church at Climping in the reign of Edward the Confessor. Probably made of wood and thatch, nothing remains of this early structure.
The current tower, which dates from around 1170, is of the late Norman style merging into Gothic, with its round-headed door and pointed windows. Soon after the Magna Carta, some fifty years later, the main building was added. Since then, no structural alterations or additions have been made.
Many textbooks describe the church's architectural proportions as 'perfect' - there are few other examples of early 13th century churches of this quality in the country.
Built for John de Climping who in 1253 went on to become the Bishop of Chichester, the church is constructed of Caen stone and features 'mass dials' on the south face of the tower. These are simple sundials that indicate the time of the next mass and are operated by inserting a stick into the central hole.
Once housing the huge 13th century crusaders chest (now in Chichester Cathedral) the 14th century stone pulpit and vivid scenes depicting the life of Christ painted on the oak panelling are well worth seeing.