St Mary, Glynde
Places Of Worship
Title: St Mary, Glynde
Description: Built at a time when church building was almost non-existent, the church of St Mary is of special interest because it is constructed in the rare Palladian-style. The original pulpit, west gallery and box pews, which date from 1763, can still be found in the church. The building was constructed for the Bishop of Durham, Richard Trevor, who once lived at Glynde Place.
Address: Lacys Hill, , Glynde, East Sussex
Bishop Trevor of Durham built this rare Palladian-style church when he inherited Glynde Place, in the time between the Dissolution of the Monasteries and the Victorian era, when church building was almost non-existent.
Constructed of knapped, squared flint and featuring an ashlar porch, the interior of St Mary's is not overly restored. With a Venetian window, an attractive staircase leading to the gallery, box pews, the interior is very pleasant. Outside are a number of tomb plaques made of terracotta by Jonathan Harmer.