Description: A National Trust property that features an exhibition showing the work undertaken during the restoration process. Treasures on display include paintings, ceramics and a famous dolls house.
Address: , , South Harting, West Sussex
Post Code: GU31 5QR
Owned by the National Trust and located on the top of the South Downs in grounds that are now open parkland, Uppark was designed and constructed in 1690 by William Talman. Built for the first Lord Tankerville, water was pumped from a downhill spring using a device that had been designed by his grandfather, making the location of this Wren style building high on a hill possible. It is interesting to know that the Duke of Wellington once declined to buy the house, as the approach was so steep.
The two flanking buildings, stables and kitchens were added in 1810 by Humphry Repton, plus a new entrance in the north front; the two new buildings were joined to the main house with underground tunnels.
In August 1989 a devastating fire swept through the building, destroying the original eighteenth-century wallpapers and fabrics and leaving the building as a burned-out shell. Thankfully visitors and staff were able to rescue a great deal of the furniture and pictures. Re-opened to the public in June 1995, the house has been fully restored to its original condition.
H.G. Wells is known to have been here with his mother (she was once the housekeeper) and Emma Hamilton (who later became Lord Nelson's mistress) was also a visitor.